2005-08-03

How I torture myself.

I was looking through Secrets of the House of M (I know, I know), trying to figure out who some of the people were[1], when I noticed that some of the height and weight stats were a little funky.

Quicksilver is listed as 6 feet, 185 lbs. That's a lot for a runner. He's drawn in the usual Marvel way, so I guess that might be accurate in a world where Charles Xavier is 190. For comparison, Lance Armstrong and Shawn Crawford are each 5'11 and 165 lbs[2]. Maybe Lance isn't packing any extra weight, but Crawford isn't a small guy. He looks about how I'd expect someone drawn like Quicksilver to look in real life. Maybe Pietro has adamantium hair.

StormStorm is listed as 127 lbs. Ha ha, only if she's 5'3. They say she's 5'11. I'm 5'11 and don't have those bodacious ta-tas or that J-Lo booty, and I weigh at least that much.

Dazzler's 5'9 and 115 lbs.

Emma Frost is 5'10, 144 lbs. That seems good, if you ignore how she's always drawn to look anorexic compared to Storm.

Bruce Banner is 5'9 and 128 lbs. The one guy who isn't a hulking monstrosity is only that way as a counterpoint to the hulking monstrosity he becomes.

Carol DanversCarol Danvers is 5'11, 124 lbs (in SotHoM at least; one site I found said 120 lbs.). I don't even know where to start with that.

Hawkeye: 6'3, 230 lbs. Seriously, what the hell?

Iceman, Dr. Strange, and Cloak (and maybe Hank Pym, too) are all pretty decent, but all the other men seem forced into the gigantic-brute mold. It's okay for men to be average or slightly above when they have no reason not to be. And it's okay for women to be short, or to weigh something reasonable if they're not.

I probably come off like an obsessive fanboy complaining that they don't get the weights of my favorite characters right, when in fact I don't particularly care about any of them, or their weights, and would much prefer that they be left out if they can't at the very least be not ridiculous.


[1] I was never a big enough Marvel fan to know who Sebastian Shaw was, and I didn't realize who Jessica Drew was until I saw her powers and remembered some discussions I'd seen.

[2] Those were the only two people who came to mind and seemed to make for a good comparison.