2005-12-15

This isn't funny.

(Sorry, Spencer.)

Little did I realize that my fun-sized mention of Blue World in my last entry would actually end up being relevant. The story Night Calls the Green Falcon (which, I forgot to explain, is about an old serial star putting on his costume one last time to catch a serial killer, told in a serial fashion) contains a number of comic references, in addition to being based on the serials of the '40s. From an interview with McCammon:

Q: We were talking earlier today about comic books. [Your story] "Night Calls the Green Falcon," which blew me away: was that influenced any by the comic series The Watchmen? Did you read The Watchmen?

A: No, I haven't read The Watchmen, but it is influenced by all the comics I used to read as a kid. And it's influenced by all of the serials that I used to go to when I was a kid, the Batman serials, Zorro---those were great.

That question's a bit weird and narrow, since the story doesn't seem to be influenced by Watchmen in any way (I mean, old guys in costumes are hardly unique). I'd like to know whether the character of Davy in the story was called The Watchman because of it, since McCammon could have heard of the book without having read it, but that's different.

Another character has a shaved head, except for a question mark of hair. He's called Ques.

There's also a motel owner who wears a Captain America shirt, and a "dancer" with the wonderful comic book-style name of Amazin' Gracie.

Some of the other stories are a bit disappointing so far, but I give Night Calls the Green Falcon a solid three-and-a-half hideously-colored recommendation units.

UPDATE: Turns out you can read it online. Way to go, internet.

Cromartie High School, meanwhile, is brilliantly, stupidly hilarious. It has everything: a gorilla, a robot, and Freddie. I give it 83 stars. (Stars omitted.)